Today as I celebrated my 32nd birthday I decided that I would love to offer 32 random acts of kindness.* I am so ridiculously blessed. I have an amazing family and amazing friends. I get to do what I love for a living and most of all I am blessed to be healthy. So today being that I am 32 I decided to take $320* and use that to do 32 random acts of kindness. Some were planned but some were spontaneous. Some were free and some cost money, but every single one I enjoyed doing. I shocked a few people, others cried and right along with them I cried.
My mom joined me for the morning and the afternoon I headed out on my own. I did plan my route to ensure I was able to deliver to everyone. I did not take pictures of every act or person. I took some to document, but mostly wanted to embrace the day as it unfolded without my camera in front of my face.
- Made breakfast for John
- Called my mom to tell her I love her and thankÂ her for beingÂ such an amazing inspirationÂ before she arrived.
- Left homemade cookies and candies for the contractor helping us with our renovation.
- Donated diapers and wipes to local diaper bank Mitzvah Circle Foundation in Blue Bell. I will share more about this amazing organization in a few days.
- Donated food to a local foundation that helps families who fall through the cracks.
- Dropped off 32 socks, 32 toothbrushes, and 32 tubes of toothpaste at Coordinated Homeless Outreach Center (CHOC) which is a local homeless day shelter.
- Wrote a â€œThank Youâ€ note to the Jeffersonville Fire Department and dropped off some cookies. They were heading out on a fire call when I arrived so I didn’t get to thank them personally for all they do.Â
- Wrote a letter to the mailman with some hot cocoa and a box of cookies.
- Wrote another letter to our regular mailman with homemade biscotti and a bag of coffee. Which he will get tomorrow since he was off today.
- Left $10 taped to the Gas Pump.
- Paid for the car behind me at the Sonic!
- Purchased Books for the Get Well Gabby Foundation.
- Gave a woman a roll of quarters at the laundromat.
- BoughtÂ the person behind me a Walmart Gift Card to pay for their order.
- Left coloring books and crayons in the local hospital maternity waiting room.
- Left a dollar bill on vending machine in hospital for someone to get a snack.
- Put a box of Joe from Dunkin Donuts in the ICU waiting room. I was there a few weeks ago as my best friend’s mother passed away. Just a small gesture for people in a really scary place.Â
- Bouquet of flowers at nursesâ€™ station for someone who needs it most. I asked them to give them to someone they thought would need it today.Â
- Bag full of water for nurse’s at the hospital.
- Returned all shopping carts in parking lot to the store.
- Hid dollars in the kidâ€™s toy section at dollar store with a note.
- Mailed the VA beach crew $20.00 for each person in the house to buy a box of Girl scout cookies from my niece Noor.
- Opened doors everywhere I went with a big smile.
- Slipped paper hearts that say â€œToday I celebrate my 32nd birthday by gifting 32 random acts of kindness to others! Have a great day!â€ under the windshield wipers of parked cars.
- Left a lottery ticket on a shopping cart at the grocery store.
- Left free red box rental ticket and popcorn at a Redbox.
- Put together a writing kit with stationery, envelopes and stamps, pen and will give to nursing home.
- Visited the cemetary where my dad, brother, aunt and baby cousin are burried. Cleaned up trash around graves.
- Brought my neighbors trash and recycling up their driveway.
- Liked Philabundance on Facebook. From February 5th until the 15th for every like they receive Subaru will be donating a jar of Peanut Butter or Jelly to local food banks. All you have to do is “LIKE” their Facebook page.Â
- Left quarters in a soda machine for someone to get a drink on me.Â
- The last random act of kindness is for all of you. I decided to give away $175 in gift cards to some of my favorite places. Â Â Â
You will have five chances to win.
- Entry 1: Â Leave a comment on this blog post telling me what you would do as a random act of kindness towards others.Â
- Entry 2: Please head over and like our Facebook Page. Come back and leave a comment that you did. If you are already a fan just leave a comment letting me know.Â
- Entry 3: Post on your FB page about this contest by sharing this post. Once you have done that come back and leave a comment telling me so.Â
- Entry 4: Head on over to Twitter and follow us there. Then come on back and leave a comment telling me you did.Â
- Entry 5: Tweet about our contest. Come back and comment leaving a link to your tweet letting me know.
The contest will run for one week and will end on Tuesday, February 12th atÂ 11:59 pm. I will then use random.org to choose a winner. The contest is open to anyone in the United States of America. You have 24 hours to claim your prize before I will draw another name. Best of luck.
Today was amazing and beyond humbling. Words will never be able to express how truly blessed I am, but I hope these small tokens of kindness brought a smile to everyones face I encountered. Tonight I ended it having dinner in my new home with my cousin and her crew, my mom, my sister in law and of course the most amazing guy I know. The amazing guy who works ridiculously hard to make sure that the house we are living in can truly be our home. It was truly the best birthday yet. I can’t wait to see what future birthdays hold as this one will be a hard one to top.
*I had found out about Random Acts of Kindness on your birthday through the Birthday Project a few years ago. I have been wanting to do it and on the 4th I woke up making the decision that this year would be the year. I had lessÂ 24 hours to plan this all out and make it happen. Next year I plan to be more prepared.
*printable cards were downloaded from the web and I am not sure where. I will link as soon as I find them again.
*I set out to spend about $320 for my 32nd birthday, but ended up spending more. And it was worth every penny.
The winner is comment number 49: Elaine! Please contact me within 24 hours so I can mail your prize.
Thank you to everyone who entered.